Monday, August 25, 2014

Why My Daughters Wont Watch Frozen

My daughters came home from school Friday telling me about a movie all of the other children were seeing. It sounded innocent enough, but just in case I decided to check it out.

The first issue I had with this movie was the children being up in the middle of the night to play in the snow. Even CREATING snow in the palace! Not that I recommend children going outside at night (I don't) but they should not have had snow in the house. Especially since the little girl didn't know how to turn it off!

The second issue I had was the overwhelming guilt Elsa's parents made her feel over accidentally hurting her sister. Yes, Elsa would have been guilty anyway. But forcing the doors of the palace to be shut, forcing Elsa to hide her powers, to wear gloves, instead of helping her transition, to help her find someone who could help her harness the power... well that was just wrong. The poor girl needed help, not harsh words and hiding.

One day, the gates were finally open. Anna finds a man who she immediately wants to marry. She goes against her big sisters wishes. As far as I'm concerned, her sister was over her, she should listen. Then Elsa goes running away from her problems instead of facing them.

The entire premise of the story runs along the lines of "Its bad to be different, don't be different. If they notice your different, run away. And don't come back until the problem has a solution, or is turned into an even bigger problem."

My daughters wont see it. I want my daughters to be unique in Christ. Although the sisterly love is there, which is a good concept to teach, they will likely look past that and see the rebellion, the running, and the other major issues logged in this movie and think it is okay.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with some of your points, Elsa should have had gotten help and encouragement from her parents instead of being shunned from her own life. I also agree that your daughters would probably see the running away and rebellion.

    But I also have to say that it does teach a very important rule about family. About how family is priority and that without family, you fail. Those girls really did have a great connection at the end of the movie, I think showing it wouldn't cause harm...maybe it would make your daughters feel a little included, since this film is getting constant sing alongs in class, and people reference it a lot...

    If you were ever to change your mind, I would maybe suggest that you could ask them things that those characters could have done biblically that would have given the characters a happier outcome. Maybe teach your daughters the moral of the story being "choosing family over every adversity/problem creates a stronger bond"?

    Anyway, I liked your post, I think many bloggers feel this film is wrong but they never give good reasons to their opinions. But I do believe you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously laughing at you. I used to believe that junk when I was hard core fundamental cult member, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not very fair that you watched it anf formed your own opinion about it but would not let your children watch it and allow them to have their own thoughts about the film. At the very least you could use the movie to teach them a lesson and have a discussion about the things that bothered you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is ridiculous! it is a movie! It is not real!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted to hear what you have to say. Please comment and I will joyfully respond!