Friday, July 12, 2013

What a time!

Wow!
For a few days I felt blah. My heart was racing. I was tired. In general I just felt OFF. My husband INSISTED that I see a doctor, knowing full well how I feel about them. He is the boss so I went.
The doctor said I had preeclampsia and I must bed rest until baby Matthew gets here.
I laughed at the doctor, went home and googled. Preeclampsia is merely high blood pressure! I told Troy I was not taking silly pills and I could handle blood pressure on my own.
Instead of pills, I am adding the following spices to our meals.
1. Garlic - Garlic contains allicin, a substance which has antibacterial, antioxidant, lipid lowering and anti-hypertension properties. In a pilot study made at Clinical Research Center of New Orleans on whether garlic could lower blood pressure, nine patients with severe hypertension were given a garlic preparation containing 1.3 % allicin. Sitting blood pressure fell with a significant decrease in diastolic blood pressure only five to 14 hours after the dose. Moreover, it was proven in a 2009 study that fresh garlic has more potent cardio-protective properties than processed garlic.
2. Cinnamon - Cinnamon not only prevents heart disease, it can also prevent diabetes. The Center for Applied Health Sciences in Ohio conducted a study of 22 subjects, half of which were given a 250mg of water soluble cinnamon daily while the other half were given placebo. It was discovered that those who drank cinnamon had a 13 to 23 percent increase in antioxidants connected with lowering blood sugar levels.
3. Onions - Onions contain quercetin, an antioxidant flavonol found to prevent heart disease and stroke. In a research study published in the Journal of Nutrition, subjects with hypertension experienced a decrease in their blood pressure by 7mmHg systolic and 5 mmHg diastolic as opposed to those who were taking placebo.
4. Olives - This herb is a significant part of the Mediterranean diet, recognized to be one of the healthiest in the world. Oil made from olives has been found to reduce blood pressure. In a study conducted on the importance of olive oil, Dr. L. Aldo Ferrara, Associate Professor at the Frederico II University of Naples in Italy discovered that the daily use of 40 grams of olive oil reduced the dosage of blood pressure medication in hypertensive patients by about 50 percent. Polyphenols in extra-virgin olive oil was credited for the significant reduction of blood pressure.
5. Oregano - This herb contains the compound carvacrol which has been proven to be effective against blood pressure. In a study conducted on animal subjects, by researchers from Eskisehir Osmangazi University in Turkey, carvacrol was found to reduce heart rate, mean arterial pressure as well as the systolic and diastolic blood pressures.
6. Hawthorn - This herb has been traditionally used to treat high blood pressure. In one study conducted in Reading, UK, 79 type-2 diabetic patients were randomized to receive 1200 mg of hawthorn extract while another group received medication for high blood pressure. Results revealed that patients taking hawthorn by the end of the 16th week showed a reduction in their mean diastolic pressure.
7. Cardamom- In one study published in the Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 20 subjects newly diagnosed with primary hypertension were administered 3 g of cardamom powder. After the end of the 3 months, all the subjects experienced feelings of well-being without any side effects. Moreover, the study was able to demonstrate that blood pressure was effectively reduced. It also improved antioxidant status while breaking down blood clots without significantly altering blood lipids and fibrinogen levels.
Now I don't have to worry, and I am protecting my girls and my husband!

5 comments:

  1. Are you real? Eating garlic when you're putting yourself and your baby at risk? Do you have a home blood pressure cuff at least so you can monitor your blood pressure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I am real! Why would you ask such a thing? Yes, we are monitoring it. My husband knows best and will drag me kicking and screaming to the doctor if need be. Of course if my son's life is in danger, I will be submissive.

      Delete
    2. My dear sister in Christ, you need to be submissive all the time, not just when your son's life is in danger. Therein lies the way to Christ.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I know this. That is why I went to the doctor, even though I hated to do so. My husband never said I needed to TAKE the pills, he just wanted me to make sure Matthew was okay!

      Delete
  2. You do realize that there is a difference between 'Garlic helps control hypertension' and what is necessary to safely manage preeclampsia, right? A subdermal hematoma is technically only a bruise- but that doesn't mean you just stick an ice pack on your head and walk off. An cut with a rusty knife is just a flesh wound, but that doesn't mean you can just use neosporin and a bandaid on it. Similarly, preeclampsia may fall under the catagory of hypertension, but that doesn't mean that the lowest level of treatment for the least severe case of hypertension is applicable to your situation.
    Women still loose near term babies because of TREATED preeclampsia. By not treating your condition with the seriousness it requires, you are putting yourself and your baby at risk. You've chosen your own pride over the well being of yourself and your child.
    Do not count on your husband to fix this either. He has already done his part. Your life and the life of your child IS ALREADY IN DANGER. Your husband has already dragged you to the doctor. It was you who chose to disregard his treatment. It is likely that the next time you go to the dr, it will be in an ambulance. Are you really going to put your faith in your own understanding of medicine?

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted to hear what you have to say. Please comment and I will joyfully respond!